Science is often seen as an enemy of those of faith. But we would like to make the case that true science and true faith are closely related and can work hand in hand. True science searches for the truth. True faith is based upon that which is true. Since both are .... truth, we will start with the Truth
|"Truth has a variety of meanings, such as the state of being in accord with fact or reality. It can also mean having fidelity to an original or to a standard or ideal. In a common usage, it also means constancy or sincerity in action or character. The direct opposite of truth is falsehood, which can correspondingly take logical, factual or ethical meanings." Wikipedia|
In many ways, truth seems so simple. You tell what is. "Do you solemly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."
"We see the world, not as it is, but as we are." We are all flawed humans. Our ability to see or to tell the truth is:
- tempered by out biases, prejudices and opinions.
- distorted by our desire to be right and wanting the truth to agree with our distorted views of the truth.
Science: A Search for Truth
The steps of the scientific method1 are to:
- Ask a Question
- Do Background Research
- Construct a Hypothesis
- Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
- Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
- Communicate Your Results
Science has something called a hypothesis
- A supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.
- A proposition made as a basis for reasoning, without any assumption of its truth.
you have an idea that you think to be true, and ou work through some processes to either prove or disprove it. Just because a scientiest has a hyosis doesn't make it true. The focus is (or should be) to discover what is true.
Faith: Based Upon Truth
Faith is the evidence of things than seen. The focuus of this faith should be in following through the direction of your faith. Just becuase we think that we have faith in something or someone deosn't mean that it is true.
- 1. . The Scientific Method Steps. [Internet]. 2002 ;2011. Available from: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_scientific_method.shtml